Le French May
Le French May Hong Kong
Le French May is an arts festival organized by the Consulate General of France in Hong Kong and Macau every year. Being one of the largest cultural events in Asia, it reaches out more than one million visitors each year. There are over 100 programmes presented across two months, usually from April to June. If you are in Hong Kong during this period, don’t miss the opportunity to taste a bit of French art and culture.
Established in 1993, the aims of Le French May are “to touch everything, to be everywhere and for everyone”. The programmes are mainly categorized into four groups: 1) Performing arts, 2) Exhibitions, 3) Films and 4) Gastronomy Events.
To touch everything:
The programmes touch a wide range of art forms, for example, heritage and contemporary arts, paintings and design, classical music, ballet and hip-hop dance, films and circus.
To be everywhere:
You can find the programmes of Le French May Hong Kong in various venues and districts, as usual in cultural centres, city halls, museums, universities and other public spaces.
One of the objectives of the Festival is to reach out to the entire community. Therefore, educational programmes like talks, guided tours, workshops and masterclasses have been developed.
Le French May Hong Kong 2019
This year, Le French May will be held from 1 May to 30 June 2019. Check out the highlighted events of 2019 below:
- Programme: Legend of the 20th century art : Niki de Saint Phalle
- Date: 5 May 2019 – 2 June 2019
- Venue: Sha Tin Town Hall
- Free Admission
- Programme: Le French May Paws & Friends Weekend Bazaar
- Date and Time: 4 May 2019, 12noon-11pm; 5 May 2019, 11am-9pm
- Venue: Central Harbourfront Event Space
- Free Admission
- Programme: Invitation to the Voyage by Paris Mozart Orchestra – Sensory journey through music, poetry and painting
- Date and Time: 8 May 2019, 8:00pm
- Venue: Hong Kong City Hall Concert Hall
- Tickets (HKD): $420, $300, $200, $120 available at URBTIX (www.urbtix.hk)
- Programme: Bach Studies – I fall, I flow, I melt
- Date and Time: 3 May 2019, 8:15pm; 4 May 2019, 8:15pm
- Venue: Hong Kong Cultural Centre Grand Theatre
- Tickets (HKD): $580, $480, $380, $280, $180 available at URBTIX (www.urbtix.hk)
- Opera and Theatre
- Programme: Hikikomori, The Shelter by Joris Mathieu with Haut et Court collective – A unique immersive adventure
- Date and Time: 24 May 2019, 8:00pm; 25 May 2019, 4:00pm; 26 May 2019, 4:00pm
- Venue: Hong Kong Cultural Centre – Studio Theatre
- Tickets (HKD): $200, $140 available at URBTIX (www.urbtix.hk)
- Remarks: In French and Cantonese with English subtitles
- French Cinema: Love, Passion, and Glamour
- Date: 29 May 2019 – 11 June 2019
- Venue: Broadway Cinematheque / AMC Pacific Place / Premiere Elements Cinema
- Tickets (HKD): $220, $160, $100 available at cinemas
Le French GourMay
Le French GourMay has become one of the most popular events supported by French wine culture and culinary arts lovers since 2009. A different wine and gastronomy region of France will be featured every year: Rhône Valley in 2009, Languedoc Roussillon in 2010, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur in 2011, Bordeaux in 2012, Burgundy in 2013, Rhône Valley again in 2014 and Midi Pyrénnées in 2015, Alsace in 2016, Champagne in 2017, and Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur again in 2018.
For the 11th edition in 2019, Le French GourMay will showcase the wonders of a stroll along the LOIRE VALLEY.
Le French GourMay: https://www.frenchgourmay.com/
Le French May: https://frenchmay.com/en/home/
Which Le French May programmes do you enjoy most? Hope that you can find something great.
Thank you for reading this post. Feel free to leave us comments or contact us if you have any questions.
To get free newsletter and updates from Hong Kong Travel Guide in your inbox, simply sign up at the top of the right-handed sidebar.
Please like us on Facebook and share our posts.