Le French May Hong Kong
Le French May is an arts festival organized by the Consulate General of France in Hong Kong and Macau every year. Being one of the largest cultural events in Asia, it reaches out more than one million visitors each year. There are over 100 programmes presented across two months, usually from April to June. If you are in Hong Kong during this period, don’t miss the opportunity to taste a bit of French art and culture.
Established in 1993, the aims of Le French May are “to touch everything, to be everywhere and for everyone”. The programmes are mainly categorized into four groups: 1) Performing arts, 2) Exhibitions, 3) Films and 4) Gastronomy Events.
To touch everything:
The programmes touch a wide range of art forms, for example, heritage and contemporary arts, paintings and design, classical music, ballet and hip-hop dance, films and circus.
To be everywhere:
You can find the programmes of Le French May Hong Kong in various venues and districts, as usual in cultural centres, city halls, museums, universities and other public spaces. Out of surprise, you can find them in shopping malls, Happy Valley Racecourse and by the Victoria Harbour.
One of the objectives of the Festival is to reach out to the entire community. Therefore, educational programmes like talks, guided tours, workshops and masterclasses have been developed.
Le French May Hong Kong 2019
- Date: 1 May to 30 June 2019
- Time: Various times TBC
- Venue: Various venues (mentioned above) TBC
- Official Website: www.frenchmay.com
Activities of Le French May Hong Kong 2019 will be posted here when it gets closer. Check out the highlighted events of 2018 below:
- Programme: School of Nice From Pop Art to Happenings
- Date and Time: 5 – 27 May 2018
- Venue: Hong Kong City Hall
- Free Admission
- Programme: Cabinets of Curiosities: A French Passion
- Date: 25 May – 19 Aug, 2018
- Venue: City University of Hong Kong
- Free Admission
Lots of programmes are going on in Hong Kong City Hall, Sheung Wan Civic Centre and the Fringe Club. Be ready for excellent performances such as cello, saxophone, orchestra. For more details, check out their website.
- Programme: Les Forains, Ballet Urbain – True festival of youth and dance – 2018 Edition
A real Urban Ballet which combines classics, hip hop, ballet and acrobatics. Each performance will be followed by a sharing session with the artists.
- Date and Time: 26 May 2018, 7:45pm; 27 May 2018, 11am
- Venue: Hong Kong Cultural Centre
- Tickets (HKD): $600 / $490 / $380 / $240 / $140
- Opera and Theatre
- Programme: PARIS by Lorànt Deutsch – A journey along the river Seine to discover all about Paris – 2018 Edition
A renowned French actor and writer, Lorànt Deutsch, presents a surprising interactive show using videos, animations and 3D reconstructions which takes the audience on a fascinating tour of Paris.
- Date and Time: 4 & 5 June 2018, 8pm
- Venue: Sheung Wan Civic Centre
- Tickets (HKD): $380/ $280
- Remarks: In French and Cantonese with English subtitles
- Programme: FRENCH CINEMA: TRIBUTE(S)
Featuring a selection of 15 French films including 10 movies by the French filmmaker, photographer and installation artist Agnès Varda.
- Date and Time: 6 – 20 Jun, 2018
- Venue: Broadway Cinema
Le French GourMay
Le French GourMay has become one of the most popular events supported by French wine culture and culinary arts lovers since 2009. A different wine and gastronomy region of France will be featured every year: Rhône Valley in 2009, Languedoc Roussillon in 2010, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur in 2011, Bordeaux in 2012, Burgundy in 2013, Rhône Valley again in 2014 and Midi Pyrénnées in 2015, Alsace in 2016, and Champagne in 2017.
To celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the festival, Le French GourMay will celebrate South of France, with the region PROVENCE-ALPES-CÔTE D’AZUR.
Le French GourMay: http://www.frenchgourmay.com/
Which Le French May programmes do you enjoy most? Hope that you can find something great.
Thank you for reading this post. Feel free to leave us comments or contact us if you have any questions.
To get free newsletter and updates from Hong Kong Travel Guide in your inbox, simply sign up at the top of the right-handed sidebar.
Please like us on Facebook and share our posts.