Chinese Opera Festival Hong Kong has been organized by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department every summer since 2010. It has been supported by all parties for years. Audiences can experience a wide range of opera genres, including famous Cantonese opera performances, which is on the UNESCO Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
Other than Cantonese opera singers like Law Kar-ying and Yuen Siu-fai from the Chinese Artists Association of Hong Kong, a star-studded cast from leading opera troupes in China will be brought to the city. Award-winning Chinese opera performers will delight audiences with Beijing/Peking opera, Cantonese opera, Kunqu opera, Shaoxing/Yue opera, Wu opera, Sichuan opera, and Shaanxi opera. Moreover, there are extension activities such as lectures, film screenings, meet-the-artists sessions and exhibitions for you to enjoy.
Chinese Opera Festival Hong Kong
Chinese Opera Festival 2019 mark its 10th anniversary. This year, eight delightful programmes from different parts of China will be performed. The newly opened Xiqu Centre of the West Kowloon Cultural District will jointly present some of the programmes for the first time. Details of the programmes are as follows,
Date: 13 June – 18 August 2019
- Opening Programme: Peking Opera Masters North and South: China National Peking Opera Company and Shanghai Jingju Theatre Company
- Date: 13–15, 17–19 June 2019
- Venue: Grand Theatre, Xiqu Centre, West Kowloon Cultural District
- A New Cantonese Opera “A Love Poem Stained with Blood”
- Date and Venue: 21–22 June 2019: Grand Theatre, Hong Kong Cultural Centre
- 30 June 2019: Auditorium, Tuen Mun Town Hall
- Guangdong Quadrangle – Four Folk Music Types in Concert
- Date and Venue: 25–26 June 2019: Theatre, Hong Kong City Hall
- 4–7 July 2019: Tea House Theatre, Xiqu Centre, West Kowloon Cultural District
- Experimental Theatre of Liyuan Opera of Fujian
- Date and Venue: 28–30 June 2019: Theatre, Hong Kong City Hall
- Jiangsu Kunqu Opera Theatre
- Date and Venue: 19–21 July 2019: Grand Theatre, Xiqu Centre, West Kowloon Cultural District
- Shanghai Yue Opera Group
- Date and Venue: 25–28 July 2019: Grand Theatre, Hong Kong Cultural Centre
- “The Fragrance of Chrysanthemums and Orchids” – A Close Encounter of Peking Opera and Kunqu Opera: Jingkun Theatre and Shandong Peking Opera Theatre
- Date and Venue: 2–4 August 2019: Tea House Theatre, Xiqu Centre, West Kowloon Cultural District
- Wenzhou Opera Research Institute
- Date and Venue: 16–18 August 2019: Auditorium, Ko Shan Theatre New Wing
For details of ticketing and time, please refer to the following website: https://www.cof.gov.hk/2019/en/index.html. Tickets are available from 17 April onwards at URBTIX (www.urbtix.hk) and the Xiqu Centre Ticket Office.
Want to understand more about the charm of Chinese opera at one-stop, you really can’t miss China Opera Festival Hong Kong 2019. Please feel free to leave us comments or contact us if you have any questions.
To get free newsletter and updates from Hong Kong Travel Guide in your inbox, simply sign up at the top of the right-handed sidebar.
Thank you for reading this post. Please like us on Facebook and share our post.